Jackson, 1941. Item #99-4423
Oblong 3.25 x 9.5" on cream mount 4 x 9.5", no photographer listed. Photo title etc. printed on the mount. Photo has light corner creasing and wear else very good condition, mount has creasing, light soiling, chipping, lacks a lower corner. Photo shows an aerial view of the front of the prison. The prison started up in a log structure in 1839 and progressed to a permanent building in 1842. Known as the Michigan State Prison until 1935 when it became the State Prison of Southern Michigan. A new facility had been completed the previous year, at that time it was the largest walled institution in the world containing 5,742 cells. SCARCE image.