Typed document from Sighisoara, Romania, dated January 16, 1943, which lists the people who donated money for Romanian Jews who had been transported to the Transnistria region.
Sighisoara. 1943. Item #98-3840
11.5 x 8.25, unlined paper typed on both sides, labeled "Copie" with typed "cover letter" from "Centrala Evreilor Oficiul Judetean, Tarnava-mare, Sighisoara," oblong 6.5, 8.25, pinned to the front of the document. Creasing, toning, light soiling, spotting, pin rusty. A total of 60 donors are listed, some of the surnames: Spierer, Zelig, Gelb, Farkas, Polatsek, Dezideriu, Weisz, Blau, Chaimovits, Baruch, Weg. The area which became known as Transnistria during WWII had been administered by the Romanian government prior to the war. It was overrun by the Axis powers in August 1941 and remained under their control until January of 1944. Thousands of Jews from surrounding areas were transported to Transnistria. The Jews who had not been forced out arranged relief efforts, some of which actually reached the victims.