np (Washington DC), 1881-1905. Item #97-5605
Illustr, 11 x 7.5, bound stapled wraps, no title, etc. on spine or covers, unpag. Covers worn, soiled, stained, chipped, creased, torn, first page and last two pages have tears, soiling, creasing and chipping (mainly near front and back) else contents are good. Albert Kahn, after being awarded the commission to build the Packard plant (which was to be the largest automobile plant in Detroit) became aware of the inefficiency of these kinds of plants. Considerable space was wasted because of all the columns used to support the building, fires were not uncommon because of the accumulation of oil on the floor. According to W. Hawkins Ferry in "The Buildings of Detroit" Albert Kahn "had become very much interested in a new method of construction then coming into use on both sides of the Atlantic" -- so called reinforced concrete. Francois Hennebique (who has two patent applications in this book, one for strengthened concrete floors) had employed this building method for many kinds of structures in Europe, including mills in Nantes and an apartment house in Paris. Albert Kahn’s brother Julius, an engineer, came up with the method for reinforcing concrete using horizontal tension bars which became known as the "Kahn System." Julius formed the Trussed Steel Company in Detroit in 1903 to manufacture these bars. Due to his brother’s innovation, Albert was able to construct the first reinforced concrete factory in Detroit for Packard. The reinforced concrete was a major innovation which changed how factories would be built from now on. The concrete was stronger, fireproof and increased factory space and the use of more windows. Julius’ company not only did factories, but major hotel projects as well (the Marlborough-Blenheim and Traymore hotels in Atlantic City). Albert continued to be successful constructing buildings with reinforced concrete for Cadillac, Burroughs, Ford, Chalmers, Dodge. In 1907, he built the first office building of concrete in Detroit, the Trussed Concrete Building, which served as the headquarters for him and his brother Julius. In a 1908 article in the Detroit News Tribune, Julius Kahn was described as " . . . the doer. It is he, indeed, who has set his name upon the monolithic structures that are now being reared on pillars and beams of concrete."