NP (Paris), nd (late 1800s? Item #96-7254
10 x 8.5, gilt-ruled leather with gilt emblem of "Maison des Oiseaux, R. de Sevres 86" on front cover, aeg, silk endapers, some extremity wear, eps tone, front inner hinge starting else vg. A school project with calligraphed titles and handwritten descriptions of eight French provinces (Provinces de l'Ouest: Bretagne, Angounois, Poitou and Maine; Provinces de Milieu: Orleanais, Berry, Bourbonnais and March), with EIGHT HAND DRAWN MAPS WITH HAND COLORED BORDERS. Beautifully done, each a work of art. The "Maison des Oiseaux" was used as a prison during the French Revolution (and, yes, it did have exotic birds), then was a convent school until 1904. A one-of-a-kind piece.