np (Detroit), nd (1890s?). Paperback. Very Good. Item #21-1126
Ticket oblong 1.75 x 2.25", purple, printed on both sides, edgewear else good. The first McGregor Helping Hand Mission (for homeless men) was founded in 1888 in Toledo, Ohio as Bethany Mission by Thomas McGregor. The following year it moved to a larger building and was renamed the "McGregor Helping Hand Mission." Thomas McGregor wanted to open more missions in the Great Lakes, the next would be in Detroit which opened on April 3, 1891. He became ill while working at the new location and was unable to attend the opening, he died a few days later. His son, Tracy William McGregor quit college and went to Detroit to run the new mission. In 1901 he married Katherine Whitney (daughter of lumber baron David Whitney) and together provided financial assistance to the Detroit YMCA, Detroit Rescue Mission, Salvation Army, Society of St. Vincent de Paul and many more institutions. Printed on the back of the ticket "This ticket may not be honored in the case of one with whom the Mission has had previous experiences of unworthiness." Comes with: a postcard of Cadillac Square which shows the "McGregor Helping Hand Mission" name on a building. Light soiling, edgewear/chipping, postmarked March 27, 1906. Sold as a pair. SCARCE.