HOME
TERMS
ABOUT US
LOGIN
CONTACT US
HOURS & DIRECTIONS
ADVANCED SEARCH
BROWSE

0 Items

****

Envelope with a Lithograph by the Calvert Lith. Co. of "Russell House, Detroit, Mich."

Detroit nd (1870s?) 3 x 6, postally used, heavily soiled, small tear, part of the flap is detached (but present). Envelope is addressed to "Mrs. Russell" and shows the Michigan Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument (unveiled 1872) to the front left, buggies and horse drawn streetcars are in front. Comes with: Letterhead portion only of the Russell House stationery, oblong 3.5 x 5, fold crease, light soiling. Undated, but the former National Hotel became known as the Russell House in 1857 when the owner leased it to William H. Russell. The image by Kilburn & Mallory, Boston shows a much different Russell House from the later lithograph; the business went through many updates over the years. Shows a smaller building with a dome that is flying a flag, the name Russell House painted ? on the front and a banner of its name attached on the side. Nice bit of early Detroit history. Land is now the site of the First National Building. Sold as a pair.


Book Id: 99-1551

Price: $35.00

privacy policy | security | Site Map | Site by Bibliopolis