0 Items


Lincoln Motor Company temporary certificate for 100 Class A shares, January 30, 1920. [signed by W.C. Leland, W.T. Nash].

Oblong 9.75 x 13.5, orange. Cancelled, light creasing, chip out of upper margin, soiling on reverse else good. Lincoln Motor company, owned by Henry M. Leland and his son Wilfred C. Leland, originally made aircraft engines. After the end of WWI, the company reorganized in January of 1920 in order to manufacture the Lincoln auto. Expected to be on sale by April, 1920, the cars were not ready until September, well after the main buying periods were over. Financial difficulties ensued when sales did not meet expectations. The company went into receivership on Nov. 8, 1921, and secret talks began a few weeks later with Henry Ford. On Feb. 4, 1922, Henry Ford bought the Lincoln Motor Company. Certificate is issued to O.L. Wurm and transferred to Burdick-Thomas, then to Joel Stockard and finally to Karen B. Hartwick. Karen B. (Bessie) Hardwick, president of Hartwick Lumber Co., Detroit, was the widow of Major Edward E. Hardwick, a Spanish-American War veteran who died in France duirng WWI. In 1927, his widow donated 8000 acres of land in Grayling, Michigan, to be used as a park in memory of her husband, a Grayling native. Named Hartwick Pines State Park, it included 49 acres of old growth pines. STOCK CERTIFICATE SIGNED BY W.C. LELAND AS VICE PRESIDENT AND W.T. NASH AS TREASURER.

Book Id: 98-4166

Price: $50.00

privacy policy | security | Site Map | Site by Bibliopolis