0 Items


Ribbon Badge for a member of Detroit Camp No. 2, Detroit, Mich. of the American Woodmen of Denver, Colo.

Detroit 1901 There are two pinbacks attached to a vertical purple satin ribbon that has gold fringe at the bottom, between the two pinbacks is a piece of white satin fabric onto which is woven two American flags, the pin at the top has a gold-colored scalloped edge, black lettering on a white background "Member Detroit Camp No. 2 Detroit Mich.," the second pin is round with a white background, black lettering "American Woodmen Brotherhood of Man" with a colored scene of a log, ax and mallet in the center, a dove directly above and all is surrounded by laurel (?) wreaths and a red banner; printed in gilt on purple ribbon "American Woodmen Denver, Colo."; attached to the back of the purple ribbon is a black satin ribbon with silver lettering "In Memoriam American Woodmen Denver, Colo." and in the circle in the center "Supreme Camp of the American Woodmen Brotherhood of Man 1901 Protection of the Home." Upper pin is oblong, approx. 3 x 1 1/4, lower pin is 1.75" diameter, flag ribbon is 2 1/2 x 2, purple and balck ribbons are 7.75 x 2.5 including fringe. A little bit of rust and discoloration on the back of the pins, gold fringe is darkened, small bit of the lettering on both the purple and black ribbons has rubbed off else very good, has been well preserved. The American Woodmen, an African-American fraternal organization, was organized not by an African-American but by a white man name John C. Kennedy, in Denver, Colorado. He obtained a charter on April 5, 1901, and it states in part ". . . to be operated in a modern and up-to-date manner in strict compliance with the laws of the Insurance Department and for the benefit and protection of the Negroes." The organization struggled for 10 years and only had assets of $8000.00 and less than 2000 members. In 1910, the organization (which had by that time moved to Austin, Texas) asked C.M. White, an African-American man and the clerk of the local camp to accept the position of Supreme Commander. This was the beginning of success, by the end of 1915 assets were $78,307 and membership had grown to 17,509 and continued to grow and prosper. In the 1920s, there were two different addresses listed in the Detroit directories; one at 575 E. Columbia in 1925 and 2016 Hastings in 1928. An important piece of history.

Book Id: 98-1495

Price: $150.00

privacy policy | security | Site Map | Site by Bibliopolis