0 Items


Chromolithograph Postcard of the Clinic Building, Cleveland, Ohio, dated May 16, 1929, with a message on the back from a Detroit firefighter to his firehouse that he saw the Clinic Building just two hours after the explosion; an explosion and fire which k

Cleveland 1929 Published by Braun Postcard Co., Cleveland, this is #142. 3.5 x 5.5, postally used. Light wear, soiling and creasing, pencil #s on the front else good. From the back, "Arrived here about 2 hours after the explosion in this building and saw the place as I drove by not much of a fire, mostly gas from films." On May 15, 1929, at 11:30 in the morning, one of the busiest times of the day at the clinic, the first of two explosions occurred in the basement, most likely from the combination of poisonous gases produced by x-ray film chemicals and heat from an exposed light bulb. The deadly fumes started to go through the building when a second explosion occurred and blew out the skylight so that now every area was filled with fumes. The only way left to escape was the windows but few were able to reach them; witnesses saw victims with torn clothes fighting at the windows for air. People died within a couple minutes of exposure to the fumes from the gas. Ambulances and taxis carried away the victims within 1 1/2 hours of the last explosion and were taken to the Cleveland Clinic Hospital and three other local hospitals. Police had to erect barricades around the Clinic to keep back literally thousands of onlookers. Medical personnel volunteered to assist at the various hospitals, including one doctor who found his wife among the victims and worked on her until she died. Appeals were sent out for extra oxygen, since it was used at the time as the most effective means of overcoming gas burns. One policeman who was present said that what had occurred was worse than anything he had seen during the World War (WWI). 123 doctors, nurses, patients and visitors died that day.

Book Id: 98-0055

Price: $25.00

privacy policy | security | Site Map | Site by Bibliopolis