HOME
TERMS
ABOUT US
LOGIN
CONTACT US
HOURS & DIRECTIONS
ADVANCED SEARCH
BROWSE

0 Items

****

Corte-Scope Views of the Maxwell Motor plants in Detroit, New Castle and Dayton, comes with case and viewer.

Corte-Scope Co: Clevaland 1914 (viewer ha Stereoviews are b&w, 6.5 x 3.75, viewer/stereoscope is folding, metal w/square glass "windows" for viewing, approx dimensions when unfolded 7 x 10, leather covered case with front flap with snaps, 5 x 9 x 2, interior has a pocket w/leather strap andsnap to hold the stereoviews. The stereoviews have soiling and smudging (esp on reverse), lightly bumped corners, one has a vertical crease, marks/scratches from being held in the viewer, views are numbered 1 to 75 but only contains 61, lacks #s 10, 21, 33, 37, 40, 42, 48, 50, 52, 59, 60, 63, 68, 69, else good/very good, stereoscope has a small area of rust, scratches and rubbing, else good.; case is fair/poor. The stereoviews show the inner workings of the three plants i.e, foundry, drop forging shop, body building (shows young boys working on the frame), tests on transmission gears, dynamometer, cam shafts; block tests of motors running under their own power; assembly line; metallurgy lab; car interior; exterior view of Detroit plant. The Maxwell auto line was part of the Standard Motor Co which represented the merging fo Flanders Motors and United States Motor Co. After the merger only the Maxwell line was kept because it was the most successful. The Standard Motor Co then moved its operation from NY to Detroit; the growth of the company required more space and in 1917 leased the entire Chalmers factory on Oakland Ave in Highland Park, MI. Under the new company president, the company began its decline and had quality control problems. Walter P. Chrysler was brought in in 1921 to improve and company and restore its reputation. By 1923, he was the company president and by 1925, the company, now known as the Maxwell Motors Corp., approved a takeover by Chrysler. The American Corte-Scope Co was founded in Toledo in 1911 and was re-organized in 1916 as the Corte-Scope co and moved to Cleveland where it remained in business until 1928. The stereographs they sold covered a wide variety of subjects. SCARCE.


Book Id: 97-9891

Price: $995.00

privacy policy | security | Site Map | Site by Bibliopolis