HOME
TERMS
ABOUT US
LOGIN
CONTACT US
HOURS & DIRECTIONS
ADVANCED SEARCH
BROWSE

0 Items

***

Original, handwritten ledger listing the names of donors for the lot and building of the Woodward Avenue Baptist Church in Downtown Detroit.

Detroit 1888. 6.5 x 4", pebbled leather, 181pp, lacking spine, part of front side edge & lower back near spine, rubbed, scuffed, ink name, address & date, split, light soiling under 1/2 has been filled in. The church, located at Woodward and Winder, was dedicated on Jan 19, 1887, and was designed by Mortimer Smith (who also designed the Hudson building, etc.). A few of the movers & shakers of Detroit are listed, along with their donations: Dexter M. Ferry (Ferry Seeds) gave $4000, James McMillan (senator) $200, C. A. Newcomb (Newcomb & Endicott department store) $100, Hazen Pingree (mayor then senator) $600. The bigest contibutor was Caleb Van Husen, big-time insurance man at $20,000. This church was sold about 20 years ago and then was destroyed by a fire.


Book Id: 96-5691

Price: $195.00

privacy policy | security | Site Map | Site by Bibliopolis